Tuesday, August 18, 2009

GSoC: Hackystat August 10-August 17

This week

Hackystat app, now and forevermore.

REST API support for the Hackystat App is up and running.

Had a lot of trouble with XML. I wanted to write a complex type that contained TelemetryStreams as elements. Something along these lines:

xs:element name="XMLContributesToRelationship">
xs:complexType>
xs:sequence>
xs:element ref="Type" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1"/>
xs:element ref="ID" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1"/>
xs:element ref="StartTime" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1"/>
xs:element ref="EndTime" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1"/>
xs:element ref="XMLNode" minOccurs="2" maxOccurs="2"/>
xs:element ref="TelemetryStream" minOccurs="9" maxOccurs="9"/>
/xs:sequence>
/xs:complexType>
/xs:element

But I couldn't figure out how to include the telemetry definitions in the file. There were a lot of namespace problems. The full rundown is available on the dev list, but I shall repeat the solution I arrived at.

My final solution:

1. Give telemetry.resource a namespace and a prefix. Append the prefix where necessary to elements and complex type definitions in telemetry.resource.
2. Give my schema a namespace and a prefix. Append the prefix where necessary to elements and complex type definitions in my schema.
3. Import telemetry.resource.
4. Drop the element declaration of TelemetryStream in my schema.

I'm not sure which of these are necessary and which are superstitious fluff, but at least I got it working. I know you can import things without a namespace, but I couldn't make that fly with this.

However, this solution to my server-side problem caused a client-side issue that I am still working with. Now I have to choose whether to use my telementry schema (the same as Hackystat's, but with namespace and prefixes) for the client-side stuff, or hackystat's. I was coding merrily along until I realized I had imported half of the telemetry stuff from the hackystat library and half from my jaxb folder.

However, once I clear that up and do some testing, then we have Hackystat Application LAUNCH! Exciting, n'est-ce pas?

Then: visualizations and analysis tool hardcore.

Also: test coverage, documentation, continuous integration

In other words, it's going to be a busy week. I'll keep you posted.

0 comments: